Spring is the season of kittens!
Each spring during kitten season, thousands of newborn kittens join the millions of cats already in shelters across the country. That means your local shelter has tons of cute, cuddly newborns, in addition to all the mellow, older cats and everything in between. And the shelter staff are ready to help you adopt your very first cat or to bring home a friend for another beloved cat!
"Top Ten" Checklist for Adopting a Cat
1. If you're thinking about adopting a cat, consider taking home two.
2. Find a cat whose personality complements yours.
3. Pick out a veterinarian ahead of time and schedule a visit within the first few days following the adoption.
4. Make sure everyone in the house is prepared to have a cat before it comes home.
5. Budget for the short- and long-term costs of a cat.
6. Stock up on supplies before the cat arrives.
7. Cat-proof your home.
8. Go slowly when introducing your cat to new friends and family.
9. Be sure to include your new pet in your family emergency plan.
10. If you are considering giving a cat as a gift, make sure the recipient is an active participant in the adoption process.
Add this cat-happy Twibbon to your Facebook profile pic!
Find your new furry friend!
National Spokesperson for Adopt-a-Cat Month and two-time Oscar-nominated songwriter Carol Connors
This year’s national spokesperson for Adopt-a-Cat Month is legendary two-time Oscar-nominated songwriter Carol Connors, who co-wrote “Gonna Fly Now,” the famous theme song from “Rocky,” which is perhaps the ultimate film about the underdog. Connors is a lifelong cat lover and ardent champion of the “undercat” and is calling on all Americans to do the right thing during 2013’s Adopt-a-Cat Month. The most important thing, Connors says, is for every animal lover “to adopt a kitty, save a life, and give it ‘Unconditional Love, Unconditionally’ (yet another of her lyric creations) because that is what they give to us. That would be a KNOCKOUT!”